Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ich bin im Deutschland! (i'm in germany)

The flight here was a little long, but not bad. I slept a little, but when i arrived i had really bad jet lag. We arrived in Stuttgart at 9 in the morning, and from there took the train to Schwäbisch Gmünd. It's really pretty country with lots of green fields with lots of flowers and farms and old buildings. On the train ride we had a changeover, so me and some other people from my group went and bought our first beers in Germany, they were pretty good, and really cheap. Then in SG, I met up with Moritz and Maja (the two older siblings) and their aunt because my host parents were on their way back from Prague. It was pretty interesting trying to speak german all the time, they offered to switch to english if it would be easier, but i told them no. It was mostly pretty good basic conversation and I understand most of what they say, it's just that usually there's about one word in every sentence that i dont understand and it makes it hard to know exactly what theyre talking about. (the keyboard is a little different, so im not going to use asterisks any more because it takes too long :) So i spent the better part of the day talking with Moritz und Maja, und the other brother Max. They are really nice and helpful, a little quiet, but thats to be expected i suppose, espessially when i dont really speak the language. There were some nice long awkward silences today. Then I took a nap, and when the parents got home we all went to a nice italian restaurant. I had a pils, which is a local beer, and a really good homemade hawaiian pizza (the ham and crust were really delicious). Then for dessert i had tirimissou and a shot of Jägermeister to help me sleep. When we got back I gave them their gifts and talked a little more about america, then they let me borrow the laptop and now im in my room about to go to bed. Its really nice, I have the whole basement to myself with a bedroom, livingroom, and bathroom. The bed is a fold out couch, but its comfortable.

The whole trip so far feels like a dream, like im not actually here. I think its a combination of being a little sick, have jetlag, being tired, being on a different continent, being in a place where everyone speaks a different language, and the beer all coming together. Its weird, the whole time ive been writing this ive been translating everything i say into german in my head.

OK, well, ill have more to say later. Wish me luck and be praying for me, pray that i wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment