Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Deutsche Gymnasium (German High School)

So the other day I went to school with Max (my host brother) to talk with his English Class. Unfortunately the only way i would be able to find his class was y going with him to the two classes before. This would have been ok, except he hadnt talked with his OTHER teachers about it. So here I am, 9 in the morning in a German 7th grade class, this big ole guy sitting in the back of the room, only knows broken German, waiting for the teacher to come in. Needless to say I was a little nervous. So she comes in and is like "who are you?" and Max proceeded to explain that i was an American there for the English class, so she said it was ok. (but it was still awkward). So i learned the elements of writing for a newspaper in German!
Then I went to Biology and took a quiz in German over the heart (I didn't know any of it. I haven't studied physiology for like 4 years!) but the teacher was really cool and seemed to have really good English. Then we went to English where I introduced myself to the students I had been following around all day, and then every student had to ask me a question in English, ranging from my favorite color, to what sports I like, to what I thought about George Bush, and whether I had a girlfriend. So I had a nice day at school...

a note on german schools:

there is grade school and then students go to one of three schools: Grundschule, Hauptschule, or Gymnasium depeding on their grades and capabilities (and often times their parents). So most students go to Gymnasium, and its like 5th through 13th grade all in one school. So even though I went with Max to 7th grade and was in what we would consider the middle school, I was in the same building with the "high schoolers", which do to the way their system works were actually the same age as me! So a 19 yr old in Germany would just be finishing "Highschool" while a America 19 yr old would already be done with 2 years of University! so it was interesting to see what the kids my age look like and do.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice blog.

    Thank you for writing it.

    It sounds like a wonderful experience Dylan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, did you ever check out my blog, for England?

    http://meghan-englandtrip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete